November 6, 2018 General Municipal Election
- Election Date: November 6, 2018; polls are open from 7 am to 8 pm
- Offices to Be Filled: 4 members of the Los Alamitos City Council
- Term of Office: 3 offices at 4 years, 1 office at 2 years
- Per the City's Charter, when there are 4 or more council seats to be filled, the 3 persons each receiving the largest number of votes shall each serve a term of 4 years while the person(s) elected to fill the remaining seat(s) shall serve for a term of 2 years
- Candidate Eligibility: Registered voter (18 years old) in the City of Los Alamitos at the time Nomination Papers are issued
- Nomination/Candidate Filing Period: Monday, July 16, 2018 through Friday, August 10, 2018
- On August 10, 2018 filings will be by appointment only, as City Hall is closed
- Nomination Period (Extended): 5:30 pm Wednesday, August 15, 2018 (extension will occur due to one Incumbent being termed out)
- Office Hours:
- Monday through Thursday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Alternate Fridays: 7:30 am to 4 pm, closed alternate Fridays
- Last Day to Register to Vote: Monday, October 22, 2018
Required When Filing for Nomination
- $25 Filing Fee
- Ballot Designation Worksheet
- Form 700 - Statement of Economic Interests
- Nomination Paper
Optional Forms When Filing for Nomination
Optional forms must be received at the same time as Nomination Paper and Form 700:
- Candidate Statement with $650 deposit
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices
Certification of the November 6, 2018 Election
Results will be declared December 2018.
The 2018 General Municipal Election Candidate's Handbook (PDF) has been prepared to assist candidates in the election process by providing general guidance only. It is not intended to provide legal advice. Candidates and others using this book must bear full responsibility for making their own determinations as to all legal standards, duties, and factual material contained herein.
Offices to Be Filled
There are 4 Council seats to be filled. Per the City’s Charter, when there are four or more council seats to be filled, the 3 persons each receiving the largest number of votes shall each serve a term of 4 years while the person elected to fill the remaining seat shall serve for a term of 2 years.
To be eligible for candidacy for the office of City Council of the City of Los Alamitos, you must be a registered voter in the City of Los Alamitos. Prior to issuing Nomination Papers, the registration of all prospective candidates will be verified with the Orange County Registrar of Voters.
Nomination Papers are obtained from the City Clerk's Office, beginning at 7:30 am on Monday, July 16, 2018, through 4 pm on Friday, August 10, 2018. Appointments are required for August 10, 2018 as City Hall is closed. If Nomination Papers for an incumbent member of the City Council are not filed by 4 pm on Friday, August 10, 2018, the voters shall have until 5:30 pm on Wednesday, August 15, 2018, to nominate candidates other than the incumbent for such elective office. The filing deadline will be extended due to an incumbent being termed out.
Following verification that you are a registered voter in the City of Los Alamitos, your name will be typed onto the Nomination Paper and the Nomination Paper will be signed by the City Clerk or her designee and issued to you for circulation.
In accordance with state law, the City Council has implemented a filing fee of $25 to be paid at the time Nomination Papers are filed. California Courts have ruled that we may not refuse to place a candidate's name on the ballot due to an inability to pay the filing fee. If the City Clerk cannot waive the fee after review of financial documents, there is another alternative.
Candidates may substitute four additional signatures for each $1 of the filing fee (100 additional signatures) in accordance with Elections Code Section 8106.