November 8, 2022 General Municipal Election
- Election Date: November 8, 2022; polls are open from 7 am to 8 pm
- Offices to Be Filled:
- Council Member - District 4
- Council Member - District 5
- Term of Office: Full term of 4 years
- Candidate Eligibility: Registered voter (18 years old) residing in the District in the City of Los Alamitos at the time Nomination Papers are issued
- Nomination/Candidate Filing Period: Monday, July 18, 2022 through Friday, August 12, 2022
- Appointments are required
- City Hall is closed every Friday
- Nomination Period (Extended): There will be no extension in Los Alamitos for 2022
- Office Hours: Monday through Thursday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, closed every Friday
- Last Day to Register to Vote: Monday, October 24, 2022
State Contribution Campaign Limits
The City of Los Alamitos does not impose local limits on campaign contributions. As such, the state campaign contribution limit applies by default. No candidate may accept from a single source a campaign contribution totaling more than $4,900.00. This limit does not apply to a candidate's contributions of the candidate's personal funds to the candidates own campaign. Information on the state campaign contribution limits is available at https://www.fppc.ca.gov/learn/campaign-rules/state-contribution-limits.html.
Offices to Be Filled
There are three Council seats to be filled in Districts 4 and 5. Candidates elected at the November 8, 2022, election will serve a four-year term.
To be eligible for candidacy for the office of City Council in the City of Los Alamitos, you must be a registered voter in the desired precinct in the City of Los Alamitos. Prior to issuing Nomination Papers, the registration of all prospective candidates will be verified with the Orange County Registrar of Voters.
Appointments are highly recommended. Appointments ensure there is ample time to thoroughly review the filing requirements and answer any questions. Walk-ins are welcome but be prepared to wait. Wait times will vary due to the limited number of people allowed into our lobby at any given time as we follow social distancing guidelines.
City Hall offices are open Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. City Hall is closed every Friday. The last day of Candidate filing falls on Friday, August 18, 2022, and City Hall is closed. If you would like to file on the last day, an appointment made at least 24 hours in advance is required. Appointments for Friday, August 18, 2022, will be limited to the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Nomination Papers are obtained from the City Clerk's Office, beginning at 7:30 am on Monday, July 18, 2022, through Friday, August 12, 2022, with an appointment. You are encouraged to file your nomination papers early to correct any possible errors or insufficiencies in the forms.
Following verification that you are a registered voter in the City of Los Alamitos and you reside in the desired district, your name will be typed onto the Nomination Paper and the Nomination Paper will be signed by the City Clerk or her designee and issued to you for circulation.
In accordance with state law, the City Council has implemented a filing fee of $25 to be paid at the time Nomination Papers are filed. California Courts have ruled that we may not refuse to place a candidate's name on the ballot due to an inability to pay the filing fee. If the City Clerk cannot waive the fee after review of financial documents, there is another alternative.
Candidates may substitute four additional signatures for each $1 of the filing fee (100 additional signatures) in accordance with Elections Code Section 8106.
Required When Filing for Nomination
- $25 Filing Fee
- Ballot Designation Worksheet
- Form 700 - Statement of Economic Interests
- Nomination Paper
Optional Forms When Filing for Nomination
Optional forms must be received at the same time as Nomination Paper and Form 700:
- Candidate Statement with deposit
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices