PERMITS AND SUBMITTALS
- How many sets of plans do I submit?3 sets of plans, 2 sets of structural calculations and 2 sets of Title 24 Energy calculations. The Title-24 Energy calculations should also be copied on the plans pages.
- What size plan page can I submit?Please submit 36″ x 24″ plan pages. Solar plans should be submitted on 11″ x 17″ plan pages.
- Can I download a permit application?Yes. You can find that on our Building Department page.
- What is your plan check turnaround time?For the majority of projects we provide a 10 business day turn around for first review. We provide a 5 business day turn around for second review.
- Can I submit for plan check or check plan check status online?Sorry. Not at this time, but hopefully in the future.
- Can I check submittal status via email?Yes. Feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- What are your design criteria?Design wind speed (residential): 85mph
Design wind speed (commercial): 110mph
Seismic zone: D
Climate zone: 8
- What Building Codes are you using?2013 California Building Code
2013 California Residential Code
2013 California Mechanical Code
2013 California Electrical Code
2013 California Plumbing Code
2013 California Fire Code
2013 California Energy Code
2013 California Green Building Standards Code.
Here is a link to the California Building and Standards Commission web page to view or download these California codes.
- Does the City require an authorization letter?Yes. For tenant improvement projects we require a letter from the building owner authorizing the project before a permit will be issued. We also require an authorization letter for agents pulling permits on behalf of a contractor. These letters should be on company letterhead, but do not need to be notarized.
- Do contractors need a business license?Yes. And if the general contractor has sub-contractors working for them, then the sub-contractors will be required to get business licenses as well. See our business license page for more information.
- Do I need Title-24 energy calculations?If you are adding or modifying any part of a lighting system, mechanical system or building envelope, it is likely you will need to provide Title-24 documents. The state now has a handy web site, energycodeace.com, that can help you determine what you need. Please find the Trigger sheets on the state web site to help you determine if you need to fill out Title-24 documents. Also visit the Forms pages on the state web site to figure out which forms you will need.
CITY AND DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
- Building Department contact info?Our contact info is as follows:
Phone – (562) 431-3538 x302
Inspection Line- (562) 431-3538 x302
Fax – (562) 493-0678
Email – email@example.com
Address – 3191 Katella Ave, Los Alamitos, CA 92307.
- When are your counter hours?The Building counter is open from 7:30am-10am for permits and plan check submittals.
- When are your inspection hours?Inspections begin at 10am. There are no AM or PM inspections available. Inspections are performed Monday through Thursday and alternating Friday’s when the City is open. Please check our calendar for which Friday’s are open.
- When are the construction hours?Construction in the city can only take place between 7am-8pm, Monday through Saturday and not on any Federal Holiday.
- Who is the water purveyor?Golden State Water
- Who provides natural gas?The Gas Company
- Who is the electricity provider?Southern California Edison
- Who provides Fire services?Orange County Fire Authority
- Do you serve Rossmoor?No, sorry. You need to visit the Orange County Building Department at 300 North Flower in Santa Ana. Their phone number is (714) 667-8888.
SOLAR PLAN CHECK AND PERMIT
- Do you offer expedited plan check for solar project?Yes. Please see out solar photovoltaic permit process page to read all of the instructions to apply for this process.
- How many sets of plans do we submit?3 please.
- What plan size pages can we submit?11″ x 17″ only please. Backup documentation can also be on 8.5″ x 11″.
- How long does plan check take?Most solar plan check is performed over the counter. However, sometimes we get busy during our morning and afternoon counter hours and will take it in for plan check instead. If we take it in for review, we will turn it around in a couple days.
- Do I need structural calculations?Maybe. We use an Orange County ICC chapter recommendation that structural calculations need to be provided when a solar installation is over 350 square feet on a single story house and 250 square feet on a two-story house.
- What are the fees for a solar permit?Solar plan check fee – $87.50
Solar permit fee – $162.50
- Do you require 2 inspections?No. We used to, but have changed this policy since the state is only going to allow us 1 inspection later in 2015 anyway.
- Have you heard of AB 2188?Yes. We will be working on adopting an ordinance and the requirements of this bill before September 2015.