CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS
3191 Katella Avenue
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Monday, July 18, 2016 – 5:00 p.m.
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC – This Agenda contains a brief general description of each item to be considered. Except as provided by law, action or discussion shall not be taken on any item not appearing on the agenda. Supporting documents, including staff reports, are available for review at City Hall in the City Clerk’s Office or on the City’s website at www.cityoflosalamitos.org once the agenda has been publicly posted. Each matter on the agenda, no matter how described, shall be deemed to include any appropriate motion, whether to adopt a minute motion, resolution, payment of any bill, approval of any matter or action, or any other action. Items listed as “for information” or “for discussion” may also be the subject of an “action” taken by the City Council at the same meeting. Any written materials relating to an item on this agenda submitted to the City Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the City Clerk’s Office, 3191 Katella Ave., Los Alamitos CA 90720, during normal business hours. In addition, such writings or documents will be made available for public review at the respective public meeting. It is the intention of the City of Los Alamitos to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in all respects. If, as an attendee, or a participant at this meeting, you will need special assistance beyond what is normally provided, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (562) 431-3538, extension 220, 48 hours prior to the meeting so that reasonable arrangements may be made. Assisted listening devices may be obtained from the City Clerk at the meeting for individuals with hearing impairments. Persons wishing to address the City Council on any item on the City Council Agenda will be called upon at the time the agenda item is called or during the City Council’s consideration of the item and may address the City Council for up to three minutes.
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. ROLL CALL
Council Member Edgar
Council Member Grose
Council Member Kusumoto
Mayor Pro Tem Hasselbrink
3. CLOSED SESSION
A. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Agency Negotiators: Cary S. Reisman, City Attorney
Unrepresented Employee: City Manager
Authority: Government Code Section 54957.6
B. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – PENDING LITIGATION
Pending Litigation pursuant to Government Code sec. 54956.9, (d)(1)
People of the State of California vs. Jonathan Bestwick, et. al,
C. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Pending Litigation pursuant to Government Code sec. 54956.9 (d) (3) (Based on existing facts and circumstances, the legislative body of the local agency is meeting only to decide whether a closed session is authorized pursuant to paragraph (2).)
D. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Pending Litigation pursuant to Government Code sec. 54956.9 (d) (2) (A point has been reached where, in the opinion of the legislative body of the local agency on the advice of its legal counsel, based on existing facts and circumstances, there is a significant exposure to litigation against the local agency.) 2 potential cases.
E. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – INITIATION OF LITIGATION
Pending Litigation pursuant to Government Code sec. 54956.9, (d)(4) (Based on existing facts and circumstances, the legislative body of the local agency has decided to initiate or is deciding whether to initiate litigation.) 1 potential case.
4. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Mayor Pro Tem Hasselbrink will lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
Council Member Edgar will give the Invocation.
A. Presentation of a Plaque to Lieutenant Colonel Joel Armstrong for his Service as the Sunburst Youth Academy Director
B. Presentation of a Certificate of Recognition to Jaelyn Sagen for her Fundraising Efforts for WeCare
C. Presentation by Cheryl Connet, Army Corp of Engineers, Regarding Relocating City Hall to the Joint Forces Training Base
D. Presentation by Larry Strawther Providing an Update on Los Al TV
E. Presentation by Ken Vecchiarelli, General Manager, Golden State Water, Regarding Drought Measures
F. Presentation by Cameron Christian, Vice President, Frontier Communications Providing a Franchise Service Update
7. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS – At this time, any individual in the audience may come forward to speak on any item within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council. Remarks are to be limited to not more than five minutes per speaker.
Approve the Warrants for July 18, 2016, in the amount of $232,383.15, ratify the Warrants for June 21, 2016 to July 17, 2016, in the amount of $836,556.19, and authorize the City Manager to approve such expenditures as are legally due and within an unexhausted balance of an appropriation against which the same may be charged for the time period of July 19, 2016 to August 4, 2016.
Council Member Edgar
Council Member Grose
Council Member Kusumoto
Mayor Pro Tem Hasselbrink
9. CONSENT CALENDAR
All Consent Calendar items may be acted upon by one motion unless a Council Member requests separate action on a specific item.
A. Approval of Minutes Approve the Minutes of June 20, 2016 Special meeting and the June 20, 2016 Regular meeting.
B. General Liability Claims Administration This report recommends approval of an agreement with George Hills Company for third-party administration services for the City’s self-insured general liability program.
1. Authorize the Mayor to enter into the Professional Services Agreement with George Hills Company for third-party administration services for the City’s self-insured general liability program; and,
2. Review and approve the Scope of Services as set forth in Exhibit A of Attachment 1.
C. Certificate of Consent to Self Insure This report recommends adoption of a resolution authorizing the City Manager to make an application with the State of California for a Certificate of Consent to Self Insure the City’s Workers’ Compensation Liabilities.
1. Adopt Resolution No. 2016-28, entitled “A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, AUTHORIZING APPLICATION TO THE DIRECTOR OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS, STATE OF CALIFORNIA FOR A CERTIFICATE OF CONSENT TO SELF INSURE WORKERS’ COMPENSATION LIABILITIES”; and,
2. Authorize the City Manager or designee to sign the application for a Certificate of Consent to Self Insure.
D. Award of Professional Services Agreement (PSA) for Tree Maintenance Services with West Coast Arborists, Inc. On June 29, 2016, Staff received proposals for annual tree maintenance services. The project provides for maintenance, removal, online inventory, and replacement of trees within the City’s community forest.
Recommendation: Authorize the City Manager to enter into the Professional Services Agreement with West Coast Arborists, Inc. (WCA) for annual tree maintenance services in the City of Los Alamitos, not to exceed the annual budgeted amount.
E. Professional Services Agreement for Crossing Guard Services with All Cities Management The City of Los Alamitos has historically provided crossing guard services by in-house trained part-time employees. Due to the personnel time required to administer the program, increased risk management issues, and lowered public safety service levels as a result of backfilling absent crossing guards the Police Department has secured an agreement to outsource this service with All Cities Management.
1. Authorize the City Manager to enter into the Professional Services Agreement for Crossing Guard Services between All Cities Management and the City of Los Alamitos for the term of July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017; and,
2. Authorize a $7,600 increase in budgeted revenues and expenditures.
F. Replacement of Police Firearms Through Trade-In This report provides information about the possibility of the Police Department trading in its aging firearms to update them with the newest technology at no cost.
Recommendation: Authorize the Chief of Police to trade in existing handguns to ProForce Law Enforcement in return for newer more current firearms for use by Police personnel.
G. Professional Services Agreement for Professional Real Estate and Economic Consulting Services with Jones Lane LaSalle Americas, Inc. (JLL) This report recommends approval of a Professional Services Agreement for Professional Real Estate and Economic Consulting Services assisting the City in negotiations for the disposition of City owned properties.
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor to enter into the Professional Services Agreement with Jones Lang LaSalle Americas, Inc. (JLL) for Professional Real Estate and Economic Consulting Services.
H. Los Angeles County Department of Public Works Use Agreement No. 16-22 with the Los Angeles County Flood Control District This report recommends approval of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works’ (LADPW’s) Use Agreement No. 16-22 between the Los Angeles County Flood Control District and the City of Los Alamitos.
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor to enter into the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works Use Agreement No. 16-22 between the Los Angeles County Flood Control District and the City of Los Alamitos.
I. Approval of Plans and Specifications, and Authorization to Bid for Old Dutch Haven Neighborhood Streets (CIP No. 16/17-01) This report recommends actions to facilitate the construction of the Old Dutch Haven Neighborhood Streets Project (CIP No. 16/17-1).
1. Approve the plans and specifications for the construction of the Old Dutch Haven Neighborhood Streets Project (CIP No. 16/17-1); and,
2. Authorize Staff to advertise and solicit bid proposals.
J. The League of California Cities’ 2016 Annual Conference and Expo The League of California Cities Annual Conference and Expo will be held in Long Beach, California Wednesday, October 5, 2016 to Friday, October 7, 2016.
Recommendation: Authorize the City Manager to attend the 2016 League of California Cities Annual Conference and Expo.
10. PUBLIC HEARING
A. General Plan Amendment, Resolution 2016-29, and Zoning Map Amendment, Ordinance 2016-05, for 4411 Katella Avenue Consideration of a General Plan Amendment and Zoning Map Amendment to the 28-acre site commonly known as Arrowhead Properties. The change would amend the General Plan Designation (Planned Industrial with Retail Overlay) to Retail Business and amend the Zoning Map (Planned Light Industrial with Retail Overlay) to General Commercial (C-G). This property is identified as Orange County Assessor Parcel Nos. 241-241-08, 241-241-09, 241-241-10 and 241-241-11 (4411 Katella Avenue) (Owner: JCB, Inc. Tinicum Corp.).
1. Open the Public Hearing; and, if appropriate,
2. Determine that the proposed amendment has been reviewed in compliance with the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The City Council of the City of Los Alamitos, California, certified the Final Environmental Impact Report on March 23, 2015 for the Los Alamitos General Plan to include land use changes for various parcels and adopting environmental findings, a statement of overriding considerations and a mitigation monitoring and reporting plan pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act. The changes in this ordinance are within the scope of the Program EIR which adequately describes the changes for purposes of CEQA as the changes parallel the changes made by the General Plan. As zoning is required to be consistent with the General Plan, the impacts relating to the zone changes are identical to the impacts that were covered in the Program EIR and there are no new impacts which would occur from such changes; and,
3. Adopt Resolution No. 2016-29, entitled, “A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, ADOPTING GENERAL PLAN AMENDMENT (GPA) 16-01 TO CHANGE THE LAND USE DESIGNATION FROM PLANNED INDUSTRIAL RETAIL OVERLAY TO RETAIL BUSINESS FOR THE PROPERTY LOCATED AT 4411 KATELLA AVENUE, ASSESSOR PARCEL NOS. 241-241-08, 241-241-09, 241-241-10 AND 241-241-11 (APPLICANT: CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS)”; and,
4. Introduce, waive reading in full and authorize reading by title only of Ordinance No. 2016-05, and set for second reading; and,
5. City Attorney Reisman read the title of Ordinance No. 2016-05, entitled, “AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, ADOPTING ZONING ORDINANCE AMENDMENT 16-01 CHANGING THE ZONING DESIGNATIONS FROM PLANNED LIGHT INDUSTRIAL RETAIL OVERLAY (P-M ROZ), TO GENERAL COMMERCIAL (C-G) FOR PROPERTY LOCATED AT 4411 KATELLA AVENUE, ASSESSOR PARCEL NOS. 241-241-08, 241-241-09, 241-241-10 AND 241-241-11 (APPLICANT: CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS).”
11. DISCUSSION ITEM
A. Los Alamitos Museum Association: Proposed Schedule, Activity Plan, Budget and Additional Information The Los Alamitos Museum Association’s proposed schedule, activity plan, balance sheet, and budget for the 2016-17 fiscal year are being provided to the City Council for approval. Additional information regarding the City’s support for the Museum, agreements with the County of Orange and Los Alamitos Museum Association and previous interest in alternative usages for the Museum are included.
1. Approve the Los Alamitos Museum Association’s proposed schedule, activity plan, and budget for Fiscal Year 2016-17; and,
2. Authorize the City Manager and/or his designee to approve any change to the schedule, activity plan, and budget within his spending authority and notify the City Council in writing.
12. MAYOR AND COUNCIL INITIATED BUSINESS
A. November 8, 2016 General Municipal Election – Cypress Ballot Initiative (Los Alamitos Race Track Property)
This item will provide a forum for Council to begin the discussion and provide direction to Staff regarding the Cypress Town Center and Commons Initiative. There is no written report at this time; however, the Initiative Measure is attached for reference.
B. Council Announcements
At this time, Council Members may also report on items not specifically described on the Agenda that are of interest to the community, provided no action or discussion is taken except to provide staff direction to report back or to place the item on a future Agenda.
13. ITEMS FROM THE CITY MANAGER