CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS
3191 Katella Avenue
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Monday, May 16, 2016 – 6:00 p.m.
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC – This Agenda contains a brief general description of each item to be considered. Except as provided by law, action or discussion shall not be taken on any item not appearing on the agenda. Supporting documents, including staff reports, are available for review at City Hall in the City Clerk’s Office or on the City’s website at www.cityoflosalamitos.org once the agenda has been publicly posted. Each matter on the agenda, no matter how described, shall be deemed to include any appropriate motion, whether to adopt a minute motion, resolution, payment of any bill, approval of any matter or action, or any other action. Items listed as “for information” or “for discussion” may also be the subject of an “action” taken by the City Council at the same meeting. Any written materials relating to an item on this agenda submitted to the City Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the City Clerk’s Office, 3191 Katella Ave., Los Alamitos CA 90720, during normal business hours. In addition, such writings or documents will be made available for public review at the respective public meeting. It is the intention of the City of Los Alamitos to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in all respects. If, as an attendee, or a participant at this meeting, you will need special assistance beyond what is normally provided, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (562) 431-3538, extension 220, 48 hours prior to the meeting so that reasonable arrangements may be made. Assisted listening devices may be obtained from the City Clerk at the meeting for individuals with hearing impairments. Persons wishing to address the City Council on any item on the City Council Agenda will be called upon at the time the agenda item is called or during the City Council’s consideration of the item and may address the City Council for up to three minutes.
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. ROLL CALL
Council Member Edgar
Council Member Grose
Council Member Kusumoto
Mayor Pro Tem Hasselbrink
Sunburst Youth Academy Cadet Student Council – Class 17
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE – Class President, Matthew Moran
4. INVOCATION – Cadet Dolan Escarcida
A. Presentation of a Plaque to Betty Schmicker-Black for her 21 Years of Service on the Personnel Appeals Commission
B. Presentation of a Proclamation to Orange County Fire Authority Division Chief, Ken Cruz, for “Drowning Prevention Awareness”
C. Presentation of a Proclamation to Mara James, Founder of Extraordinary Lives Foundation, for “Mental Health Awareness Month”
D. Presentation of a Proclamation to the City’s Public Works Crew for “National Public Works Week”
E. Presentation by Lance, Soll & Lunghard, LLP, Financial Auditors, Regarding Services Provided to the City
6. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS – At this time, any individual in the audience may come forward to speak on any item within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council. Remarks are to be limited to not more than five minutes per speaker.
7. WARRANTS Approve the Warrants for May 16, 2016, in the amount of $86,376.62, ratify the Warrants for April 19, 2016 to May 15, 2016, in the amount of $821,018.93, and authorize the City Manager to approve such expenditures as are legally due and within an unexhausted balance of an appropriation against which the same may be charged for the time period of May 17, 2016 to June 19, 2016.
Council Member Edgar
Council Member Grose
Council Member Kusumoto
Mayor Pro Tem Hasselbrink
8. CONSENT CALENDAR – All Consent Calendar items may be acted upon by one motion unless a Council Member requests separate action on a specific item.
A. Approval of Minutes Approve the Minutes of the April 11, 2016, Special Meeting, April 18, 2016, Regular Meeting, and May 2, 2016, Special Meeting.
B. Resolutions Pertaining to the November 8, 2016, General Municipal Election The City of Los Alamitos General Municipal Election will be held on Tuesday, November 8, 2016. It is City policy to consolidate the local election with the County of Orange. In order to enable such consolidation, it is necessary to adopt resolutions calling and giving notice of the election, requesting consolidation with the County, and adopting regulations pertaining to materials prepared by any candidate for a municipal election, including costs of candidates’ statements.
1. Adopt Resolution No. 2016-15, entitled “A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS,CALIFORNIA, CALLING FOR THE HOLDING OF A GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2016, FOR THE ELECTION OF CERTAIN OFFICERS AS REQUIRED BY THE PROVISIONS OF THE CHARTER”; and,
2. Adopt Resolution No. 2016-16, entitled, “A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, REQUESTING THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF ORANGE TO CONSOLIDATE A GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON NOVEMBER 8, 2016, WITH THE STATEWIDE GENERAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON THAT DATE PURSUANT TO § 10403 OF THE ELECTIONS CODE”; and,
3. Adopt Resolution No. 2016-17, entitled “A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, ADOPTING REGULATIONS FOR CANDIDATES FOR ELECTIVE OFFICE PERTAINING TO CANDIDATES STATEMENTS SUBMITTED TO THE VOTERS AT AN ELECTION TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2016.”
C. https://cityoflosalamitos.org/?wpfb_dl=2241 – A Zoning Ordinance Amendment (ZOA) 15-05 Revising the Nonconforming Use Provisions of the Los Alamitos Municipal Code (City Initiated) At its regular meeting of April 18, 2016 the City Council conducted a first reading of Ordinance No. 2016-04. This is a Zoning Ordinance Amendment (ZOA 15-05) considering zoning code changes relating to Nonconforming Use Provisions. The draft ordinance was brought to the City Council by recommendation of the Planning Commission (Citywide) (City Initiated).
Recommendation: Adopt Ordinance No. 2016-04, entitled, “AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, REPEALING CHAPTER 17.64 AND ADDING A NEW CHAPTER 17.64 RELATING TO NONCONFORMING USES (CITYWIDE) (CITY INITIATED).”
D. Treasurer’s Quarterly Investment Report – March 2016 The item for City Council consideration is receipt of the Treasurer’s Quarterly Investment Report.
Recommendation: Receive and file the Treasurer’s Quarterly Investment Report – March 2016.
E. Amendment No. 4 to Professional Services Agreement with Scientia Consulting Group for Information Technology Support Services The purpose of this report is to amend the Professional Services Agreement with Scientia Consulting Group, extending the term to June 30, 2017, for information technology support services.
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor to execute Amendment No. 4 to the Professional Services Agreement with Scientia Consulting Group, extending the contract for one-year.
F. Amendment No. 1 to Professional Services Agreement with Clear Channel Inc., a Delaware Corporation This item is to consider continuing services with Clear Channel Inc., a Delaware Corporation to provide Bus Shelters and maintenance services therein. The current Professional Services Agreement (PSA) expires on June 6, 2016, but can be extended by mutual agreement.
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor to execute Amendment No. 1 of the PSA with Clear Channel Inc., a Delaware Corporation for Bus Shelters and maintenance services therein.
G. Reimbursement Agreement for Costs Related to 3131 Katella Ave. This agenda item recommends approval of an agreement with Katella Property Owner LLC to cover costs related to the preparation of California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) documents, engineering costs, legal costs and the procurement of Place Works to prepare CEQA documents and procurement of MIG for Contract Planning.
1. Approve the reimbursement agreement between the City and Katella Property Owner, LLC: and,
2. Authorize the City Manager to enter into a Professional Services Agreement with Place Works to prepare necessary California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) documentation and with MIG for contract planning services to the satisfaction of the City Attorney.
H. Establishment of Time-Limited Parking This report provides for the establishment of time-limited parking within the Commercial Area of Old Town East, the Medical Center Area and surrounding area.
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 2016-14, entitled, “A RESOLUTION OF CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, ESTABLISHING LIMITED PARKING WITHIN THE COMMERCIAL AREA OF OLD TOWN EAST, MEDICAL CENTER AREA AND ADJACENT AREA.”
I. https://cityoflosalamitos.org/?wpfb_dl=2245 This report and corresponding resolution establishes “No Overnight Parking” on Los Alamitos Boulevard and Katella Avenue generated by City Council during parking discussions on April 18, 2016.
Recommendations: Adopt Resolution No. 2016-13 A Resolution of the City Council of the City of Los Alamitos establishing ‘No Overnight Parking’ On Los Alamitos Boulevard from southern City limit to northern city limit and Katella Avenue from eastern City limit to western City limit.
9. PUBLIC HEARING
A. Introduce Ordinance No. 2016-05 – A Zoning Ordinance Amendment (ZOA 16-05) – Amending the uses allowed within the Planned Light Industrial (P-M) Zone
Consideration of changes to uses allowed within the City’s Industrial Zone (other zones to follow) as recommended by the Planning Commission during their April 27, 2016 meeting (City initiated).
1. Open the Public Hearing; and, if appropriate,
2. Determine that the proposed project is exempt from the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) pursuant to Section 15061(b)(3) under the general rule that CEQA does not apply to activities which can be seen with certainty to have no effect on the environment; and,
3. Introduce, waive reading in full and authorize reading by title only of Ordinance No. 2016-05, and set for second reading; and,
4. City Attorney Reisman read the title of Ordinance No. 2016-05, entitled, “AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, APPROVING ZONING ORDINANCE AMENDMENT (ZOA) 16-05 thereby making changes to the table of allowed uses in Section 17.10.020, Table 2-04, SECTION 17.38.140 RELATING TO RECYCLING FACILITIES, and definitions in chapter 17.76, of the Los Alamitos Municipal Code (CITY INITIATED).”
B. Introduce Ordinance No. 2016-03 – Creation of a Zone for Commercial Recreation Uses in the Planned Light Industrial Area (City Initiated)
Consideration of a Zoning Ordinance Amendment (ZOA 15-09) to create a Limited Industrial (L-I) Zone to allow commercial recreation uses for certain parcels in the Planned Light Industrial (P-M) Zone to comply with the new 2015-2035 General Plan and to amend the Zoning Map by placing the Zone on specified parcels (City initiated).
1. Open the Public Hearing; and, if appropriate,
2. Determine that the proposed amendment has been reviewed in compliance with the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The City Council of the City of Los Alamitos, California, certified the Final Environmental Impact Report on March 23, 2015 for the Los Alamitos General Plan to include land use changes for various parcels and adopting environmental findings, a statement of overriding considerations and a mitigation monitoring and reporting plan pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act. The changes in this ordinance are within the scope of the Program EIR which adequately describes the changes for purposes of CEQA as the changes parallel the changes made by the General Plan. As zoning is required to be consistent with the General Plan, the impacts relating to the zone changes are identical to the impacts that were covered in the Program EIR and there are no new impacts which would occur from such changes; and,
3. Introduce, waive reading in full and authorize reading by title only of Ordinance No. 2016-03, and set for second reading; and,
4. City Attorney Reisman read the title of Ordinance No. 2016-03, entitled, “AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, APPROVING ZONING ORDINANCE AMENDMENT (ZOA) 15-09 TO ESTABLISH A Limited Industrial ZONE, TO AMEND THE ZONING MAP TO PLACE THE Limited Industrial ZONE ON PROPERTIES GENERALLY surrounding the corner OF Serpentine Drive and Reagan Street, AND TO AMEND SECTIONs 17.04.020 – Table 2-01, 17.10.10, 17.10.020 – Table 2-04, 17.10.030 – Table 2-05, and 17.76.020, OF THE LOS ALAMITOS MUNICIPAL CODE RELATING TO THE USES ALLOWED IN THE LIMITED INDUSTRIAL ZONE AND ELIMINATING COMMERCIAL RECREATIONAL USES FROM THE PLANNED INDUSTRIAL ZONE (CITY INITIATED).”
C. Parking Fees for the 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular The upcoming 29th Annual 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular is scheduled for Monday, July 4, 2016. Staff is seeking approval for a $10 per vehicle parking fee for “non-residents” and a $5 discounted “resident” fee with residents being defined as residents of Los Alamitos, Cypress, Seal Beach, and the Community of Rossmoor, since these agencies collaborate to host and sponsor the event.
1. Conduct a Public Hearing on the proposed 4th of July Parking Fees; and,
2. Adopt Resolution No. 2016-18 , “A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, ESTABLISHING THE RECREATION AND COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPARTMENT PARKING FEES FOR THE FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS SPECTACULAR”.
10. MAYOR AND COUNCIL INITIATED BUSINESS
A. Council Announcements
At this time, Council Members may also report on items not specifically described on the Agenda that are of interest to the community, provided no action or discussion is taken except to provide staff direction to report back or to place the item on a future Agenda.
11. ITEMS FROM THE CITY MANAGER