CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS
3191 Katella Avenue
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Monday, September 21, 2015 – 6:00 p.m.
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC – This Agenda contains a brief general description of each item to be considered. Except as provided by law, action or discussion shall not be taken on any item not appearing on the agenda. Supporting documents, including staff reports, are available for review at City Hall in the City Clerk’s Office or on the City’s website at www.cityoflosalamitos.org once the agenda has been publicly posted. Any written materials relating to an item on this agenda submitted to the City Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the City Clerk’s Office, 3191 Katella Ave., Los Alamitos CA 90720, during normal business hours. In addition, such writings or documents will be made available for public review at the respective public meeting. It is the intention of the City of Los Alamitos to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in all respects. If, as an attendee, or a participant at this meeting, you will need special assistance beyond what is normally provided, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (562) 431-3538, extension 220, 48 hours prior to the meeting so that reasonable arrangements may be made. Assisted listening devices may be obtained from the City Clerk at the meeting for individuals with hearing impairments. Persons wishing to address the City Council on any item on the City Council Agenda should complete a blue “Request to Speak” card and will be called upon at the time the agenda item is called or during the City Council’s consideration of the item and may address the City Council for up to three minutes.
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. ROLL CALL
Council Member Grose
Council Member Hasselbrink
Council Member Kusumoto
Mayor Pro Tem Edgar
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE – Mayor Pro Tem Edgar
4. INVOCATION – Council Member Hasselbrink
A. Presentation of a Certificate of Appointment to Newly Appointed Planning Commissioner, Larry Andrade
B. Presentation of a Proclamation to Frieda Rapoport Caplan for “Friedia Rapoport Caplan Day”
C. Presentation of Certificates of Recognition to the Los Alamitos Youth Baseball Bronco Team for Winning the 2015 Bronco World Series Champions
D. Presentation of a Certificate of Recognition to Brian Gorman, Los Alamitos Youth Baseball President, for Coordinating the 2015 Bronco World Series
E. Presentation of a Proclamation to Orange County Fire Authority Battalion Chief Marc Stone for Fire Prevention Week
6. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS – At this time, any individual in the audience may come forward to speak on any item within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council. Remarks are to be limited to not more than five minutes per speaker.
Approve the Warrants for September 21, 2105, in the amount of $36,725.62, ratify the Warrants for August 25, 2015 to September 20, 2015, in the amount of $793,852.71, and authorize the City Manager to approve such expenditures as are legally due and within an unexhausted balance of an appropriation against which the same may be charged for the time period of September 22, 2015, to October 18, 2015.
8. CONSENT CALENDAR – All Consent Calendar items may be acted upon by one motion unless a Council Member requests separate action on a specific item.
A. Approval of Minutes
1. Approve the Minutes of the Special meeting of August 10, 2015. 2. Approve the Minutes of the Special meeting of August 24, 2015. 3. Approve the Minutes of the Special Joint meeting of August 24, 2015. 4. Approve the Minutes of the Adjourned Regular meeting of August 24, 2015.
B. Treasurers Quarterly Investment Report - June 2015 The item for City Council consideration is receipt of the Treasurer’s Quarterly Investment Report.
Recommendation: Receive and file the Treasurer’s Quarterly Investment Report – June 2015.
C. Fiscal Year 2014-15 Results and Fund Balance Reservations This report provides the City Council with an update on Fiscal Year 2014-15 revenues and expenditures and recommends adjustments to General Fund reserves based on feedback and direction from the Budget Standing Committee.
1. Receive and file this year-end report for Fiscal Year 2014-15; and,
2. Approve budget amendments to the Fiscal Year 2014-15 Operating Budget as outlined and recommended in this report; and,
3. Approve carryover of appropriations to Fiscal Year 2015-16 for various projects as outlined in this report; and,
4. Adopt Resolution No. 2015-23, entitled “A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, ESTABLISHING A FUND BALANCE POLICY FOR THE GENERAL FUND AND REPEALING RESOLUTION NO. 2014-20”, and,
5. Approve transfer of $100,000 to the Vehicle & Equipment Fund and $100,000 to the Police Capital Internal Service Fund from the 2014-15 General Fund operating surplus.
D. Los Al TV Equipment Purchase This report seeks City Council approval to purchase equipment for Los Alamitos Television (Los Al TV).
1. Authorize the City Manager to purchase a Newtek TriCaster 410 with a TriCaster 460 Control Surface at a price not to exceed $16,195;
2. Authorize an appropriation of $51,195 from Fund 28 (Los Alamitos Television Fund) for the purchase and installation of equipment for Los Alamitos Television as outlined in this report.
E. Adopt Ordinance 2015-05 – Amending Title 15 of the Los Alamitos Municipal Code Adding Chapter 15.06 Permitting Procedures for Small Residential Solar Energy Systems/ At its Regular meeting of August 24, 2015 the City Council conducted a first reading of Ordinance No. 2015-05. This Ordinance adds Chapter 15.06 to the Los Alamitos Municipal Code requiring an expedited, streamlined permitting process for small residential rooftop solar systems. The purpose of the Ordinance is to comply with requirements contained in Assembly Bill (AB) 2188 (Attachment 2) (Citywide) (City initiated).
Recommendation: Adopt Ordinance No. 2015-05, entitled, “AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA AMENDING TITLE 15 OF THE LOS ALAMITOS MUNICIPAL CODE TO ADD CHAPTER 15.06 PERMITTING PROCEDURES FOR SMALL RESIDENTIAL SOLAR ENERGY SYSTEMS.”
F. Approval of Plans and Specifications and Authorization to Bid for Miscellaneous Concrete Improvements/ This report recommends actions to begin facilitating the construction of various concrete items of work throughout the City to aid the Public Works Department in Removal and Replacement of ADA Ramps, sidewalks and other miscellaneous concrete work associated with the replacement of ramps and sidewalks in various locations throughout the City.
1. Approve the plans and specifications for the construction of the Miscellaneous Concrete Improvements Project (CIP No. 15/16-01); and,
2. Authorize Staff to advertise and solicit bid proposals.
This report recommends actions to begin facilitating the construction of the alley from Reagan Street to Maple Street, between Howard Avenue and Farquhar Avenue.
1. Approve the plans and specifications for the construction of the Alley Improvement Project (CIP No. 15/16-02); and,
2. Authorize Staff to advertise and solicit bid proposals.
H. Approval of Plans and Specifications, and Authorization to Advertise for Bids for Coyote Creek Class 1 Bikeway Maintenance Project (CIP No.15/16-03) and Determination that the Project is Categorically Exempt Under CEQA/ This report recommends actions to facilitate the Coyote Creek Class 1 Bikeway Maintenance Project.
1. Approve the plans and specifications for the construction of the Coyote Creek Class 1 Bikeway Maintenance Project (CIP No. 15/16-03); and,
2. Authorize Staff to advertise and solicit bid proposals; and,
3. Determine that the project is Categorically Exempt pursuant to Section 15301(c) of the California Environmental Quality Act Guidelines.
I. Continuation of Cable Television Broadcast of the Planning Commission Meetings At the February 18, 2015, Council meeting, Council approved recording the Planning Commission meetings for broadcast on LATV-3 and directed Staff to provide an update in six months.
Recommendation: Authorize the City Manager to continue recording the Planning Commission meetings for broadcast on LATV-3.
J. Los Alamitos Boulevard Center Median Beautification Project This report is an informational item to keep the Los Alamitos City Council updated on the Los Alamitos Boulevard Center Median Beautification Project.
Recommendation: Receive and file.
9. DISCUSSION ITEMS
A. Provide Direction to the Voting Delegate Regarding the 2015 Annual Conference Resolution Packet The League of California Cities Annual Conference will be held in San Jose, September 30 – October 2, 2015. At the meeting of July 21, 2015, the City Council designated Council Member Grose as its Voting Delegate to the Annual Business Meeting and Mayor Murphy and Council Member Kusumoto as the Voting Alternates. This is an opportunity for the City Council to provide direction as to its position on the proposed resolutions.
Recommendation: Provide direction to Council Member Grose, the City’s Voting Delegate for the League of California Cities 2015 Annual Business Meeting, on the City’s position on the 2015 Annual Conference Resolution Packet.
B. Transfer of Cable Television Franchise from Time Warner to Charter Charter Communications and Time Warner Cable have applied to the FCC, the California Public Utilities Commission, and the various California cities served by Time Warner, including Los Alamitos, to transfer control of the cable television franchises to a subsidiary of Charter. They are seeking City approval of the transfer. The City Council may approve the transfer, refuse approval, or take no action.
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 2015-24, entitled, “A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LOS ALAMITOS, CALIFORNIA, CONSENT TO TRANSFER CONTROL OF THE CABLE TELEVISION FRANCHISE FROM TIME WARNER CABLE, INC. TO CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.”
10. MAYOR AND COUNCIL INITIATED BUSINESS
A. Council Announcements
At this time, Council Members may also report on items not specifically described on the Agenda that are of interest to the community, provided no action or discussion is taken except to provide Staff direction to report back or to place the item on a future Agenda.
11. ITEMS FROM THE CITY MANAGER