The City of Los Alamitos is committed to maintaining and improving the quality of life in our neighborhoods, commercial corridors and industrial areas. The Code Enforcement Division responds to complaints of violations of the Los Alamitos Municipal Code that include substandard buildings, property maintenance, inoperative vehicles, weed abatement and land use violations. When violations are identified, the responsible parties are contacted and requested to abate the conditions. Failure to correct violations could result in a citation or a referral to the City Prosecutor’s office.  The fundamental goal of Code Enforcement is to gain compliance with the City’s Code and achieve a community environment that is safe, clean, and healthy.


Some common violations observed in the City are as follows:

  • Boats, vehicles, trailers, or campers illegally parked in the front, sideyard, or an unapproved surface
  • Inoperative vehicles stored on residential property
  • Overgrown weeds, trash, or debris in yard areas
  • Building materials, furniture, appliances, or junk stored in the front, side, or rear yards where visible from the street or alley
  • Trash cans visible from the street (It is okay to put your trashcans out for trash pick-up, but they must be put away that      evening.)
  • Overflowing trash containers or dumpsters
  • Deteriorated abandoned buildings
  • Garages not accessible for parking
  • Garages converted to dwelling use without permits
  • Illegal/unpermitted dwelling units
  • Room additions constructed without permits
  • Rundown buildings with peeling paint, graffiti, broken windows or doors, crumbling steps or deteriorated roof
  • Walls or fences that are deteriorated, need paint, or have broken parts or holes
  • Free standing canopies
  • Screens missing from foundation vents, attic vents, or windows
  • Outdoor display of merchandise (furniture, tables, shelves, or any other display)
  • Unpermitted or illegal signs (including banners and pennants)


For more information on Code Enforcement or to report a violation, please call the Community Development Department at (562) 431-3538, ext. 304.

File an Investigation Request
The City routinely accepts complaints, investigates, and resolves such complaints.

Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently asked questions can be found here.