The Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of the City’s infrastructure, including City streets, roadway signage, and landscaping; performing graffiti abatement for public facilities; managing drainage structures; performing upkeep of City parks; and, overseeing the maintenance of City-owned traffic signals.
The Department’s eight dedicated employees are responsible for delivering services to the community in a timely, professional manner. These hard-working staff members are committed to cleaning, repairing, and improving the City’s parks and infrastructure, keeping Los Alamitos safe, clean, and attractive for current and future generations to come. The Public Works Department always welcomes your comments.
To contact the Public Works Department, please call (562) 431-3538, extension 301.
Completed permit applications and plans please submit via email.
- Encroachment Permit
- Wide Load Transportation Permit
- General Curb Marking Request
- Service Request Form
- Southern California Edison (SCE)
Safety Tips - Tree Workers
- Traffic Control Plan - General Notes
- Wide Load Transportation - Truck Route
- Standard Conditions - Overload Transportation Permit
- 2019 Fee Schedule
- Standard Conditions - Encroachment Permit
- Moratorium Map (Add 5-years to the listed dates of each street for the moratorium period)
|FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS|
- How do I get my parkway tree trimmed?
To request trimming of your parkway tree, please contact the City of Los Alamitos Public Works office at (562) 431-3538, ext. 301, or e-mail. Upon making your request, your tree will be scheduled for tree trimming by our contract tree trimming company. Tree trimming will promote proper tree growth and will insure a healthier tree.
- I would like to have a tree in the parkway planted/removed
Parkway trees are planted by City Crews from an approved tree list, and removed by a contract arborist. Removal of parkway trees are subject to Staff approval, following guidelines set by the City. To request planting or removal of a parkway tree, please contact the City of Los Alamitos Public Works office at (562) 431-3538, ext. 301, or e-mail.
- What trees are approved for parkways?
Here is the approved tree packet:
- How do I get graffiti removed from public right-of-way?
Graffiti is unsightly and ruins the appearance of our City. If you see graffiti in the City of Los Alamitos, please call the City of Los Alamitos Public Works office at (562) 431-3538, ext. 301, or e-mail.
- My street light is broken. How do I get a street light fixed?
Before you call to report a street light, jot down the pole number. Street light poles are owned by Southern California Edison. Note the address where the pole is located and the nearest cross street. To report an inoperable street light call (800) 655-4555 or you can report the outage at the SCE website.
- My sidewalk is raised and I would like to have it repaired.
All sidewalk repair requests should be directed to the City of Los Alamitos Public Works office at (562) 431-3538, ext. 301, or e-mail. Your request will be scheduled for sidewalk repair under the City’s annual sidewalk repair program which is performed by a private contractor retained by the City.
- What if a traffic signal at a particular intersection is not working?
Contact the Engineering Division of the City of Los Alamitos at (562) 431-3538, ext. 301 during regular business hours, or the Los Alamitos Police Department after hours at (562) 594-7232.
- What if I have a concern about a traffic safety matter in my neighborhood?
Contact the Engineering Division of the City of Los Alamitos at (562) 431-3538, ext. 301, or e-mail. You should put your inquiry in writing and send it to the City Engineer. Your request may be scheduled for consideration by the City’s Traffic Commission. The Traffic Commission meets the 2nd Wednesday, of every month at 7 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chamber. Traffic Commission meetings are open to the public.
- I need some traffic count information for a particular street in the City of Los Alamitos.
Traffic count information is available by contacting the Engineering Division at (562) 431-3538, ext. 101, or e-mail..
- How can I submit a request for service to the Public Works Division?
Please call the City of Los Alamitos Public Works office at (562) 431-3538, ext. 301 to place a service request for work within the City, or you can e-mail.
- What Flood Zone is the City in?
The entire City (including Rossmoor) is in Flood Zone X. Zone X is areas of 500 year flood; areas of 100 year flood w/average depths of less than 1 ft. or w/drainage areas less than 1 sq. mile; and areas protected by levees from 100 year flood. Community Number is 060226; Panel Numbers are 0105, 0112, 0116; and Suffix is H. Effective Map Date is 9/15/89, revised February 18, 2004.
- What Companies are permitted in the City for Large Bin Services?
Consolidated Disposal Services, LLC dba Republic Services (562-259-2826), Ware Disposal (714-834-0234), and Universal Waste Systems, Inc. (800-631-7016).