Via the franchise agreement for waste hauling services with Universal Waste Systems (UWS), residents receive free quarterly household hazardous waste collection (up to four items for collection). To schedule your collection, please contact UWS customer service at (800) 631-7016 or email email@example.com.
What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?
Leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable and reactive ingredients are considered Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). Products such as paint, cleaners, oils, batteries and pesticides that contain potentially hazardous ingredients require special handling when you dispose of them. E-waste such as televisions, tablets, cell phones and computers are also included for collection in this service.
What are Accepted Household Hazardous Waste Items?
County of Orange Collection Centers for the Disposal of HHW
The County of Orange offers various Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers - please note, these centers can only accept waste from Orange County residents. The following are regulations established by the County of Orange applicable to these centers:
- A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds pay be transported per vehicle, per trip (Department of Transportation Requirement)
- Containers larger than five gallons will not be accepted
- Containers will not be returned, except for oil containers upon request
- Materials must be in original containers (except motor oil, fuels and antifreeze)
- All containers must have lids, be sturdy, non-leaking, labeled and protected from breakage
- Do not combine different types of waste
Visit the Material Exchange Program
Orange County residents can choose up to five items per week from a selection of partially used containers of household, yard, and car-care products. To learn more, please visit oclandfills.com or call (714) 834-4000.