In partnership with the Los Alamitos Unified School District, the City of Los Alamitos Recreation and Community Services Department is excited to announce the return of the Los Alamitos Aquatics Program. The Aquatics Program will run during the summer season, with the goal to bring aquatic programming back to the residents of Los Alamitos and residents of the surrounding area, while providing education in water safety. The program will run out of the Los Alamitos High School Pool located at 3591 West Cerritos, Los Alamitos, CA 90720.
CLASSES AND PROGRAMS
Youth Swim Lessons
Youth Swim Lessons will be offered on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Youth Swim Lessons are offered in 25-minute sessions and meet once per week on Monday or Wednesday for a four week period. Registration for Youth Swim Lessons is required ahead of time and classes are broken down by skill level of students. Youth Swim Lessons are led by Water Safety Instructors that are certified by the American Red Cross in Water Safety Instruction. Please refer to the class descriptions below to find the perfect class for your swimmer.
• Parent & Me: Introduce your child to fun in the water! Skills include blowing bubbles, kicking, holding onto wall, assisted or unassisted floating on front and back, and water safety skills. Ratio 1:6, ages 6m – 3 yrs.
• Tiny Tots 1: This class is for children ready to be in the water without a parent. Skills include: bobbing, kicking, assisted and unassisted floating, introduction to arm strokes. Ratio 1:3, ages 3 – 4 yrs.
• Tiny Tots 2: This class is for children ready to be in the water without a parent and who are ready to be more independent. Skills include: bobbing, kicking, exhaling underwater through mouth and nose, unassisted floating on back, assisted, or unassisted floating on front, gliding, and arm strokes. Ratio 1:3, ages 3 – 4 yrs.
• Level 1: This class is for beginners who have little aquatic experience, to help students feel comfortable in the water and enjoy the water safely. Skills include: water adjustment, bobbing, blowing bubbles, kicking, assisted or unassisted back and front floating, and gliding. Ratio 1:4, ages 5-12 yrs.
• Level 2: This class is for beginners who feel comfortable in the water. Skills include: Kicking, unassisted floating on back and front, combining arm and leg movements, and gliding. Ratio 1:6, ages 5-12 yrs.
• Level 3: This class is to introduce strokes and endurance. Skills include: combined leg and arm actions with breathing, introduction to backstroke, side breathing, and elementary back stroke. Ratio 1:6, ages 5-12 yrs.
• Level 4: This class it to improve stroke technique and endurance. Skills include: front crawl, back stroke, side breathing, treading water, and additional stokes. Ratio 1:8, 5-12 yrs.
Lap Swimming will be available for participants on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during regular pool hours of 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Reservations are required to be made ahead of time for each Lap Swim visit. The price of Lap Swim is $4.00 per visit. Reservations are available in 60-minute timeslots. There are no refunds or transfers for Lap Swim.
RECREATION / OPEN SWIM
Recreation/Open Swim will be offered on Fridays during regular pool hours of 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Recreation/Open Swim is FREE, but reservations are required to be made ahead of time.
All participants under the age of 5 must be accompanied by an adult, one-on-one at all times in the water and the adult must always remain within arms reach of the child.
All participants who wish to enter the deep end are required to take a swim test and must be able to swim one full length of the pool unassisted and without struggle. If a participant passes the swim test, they will receive a wristband and be allowed into the deep end of the pool. If the participant fails the swim test, they must remain in the shallow end.